Providence Foundations of Oregon hosts DocTalks, an online virtual speaker series featuring top physicians in the state of Oregon.
If you missed a DocTalk session or want to rewatch one, this page contains archived talks from 2021 and 2022.
10/13/22 Gynecologic Cancer in 2022: Victories and Challenges
Christopher Darus, M.D., MS, discusses the status of research and treatments for ovarian, uterine, vaginal and other cancers of the gynecologic system.
9/7/22 Restoring Function with Minimally Invasive Brain Surgery
Seth Oliveria, M.D., Ph.D., director of functional neurosurgery at Providence Brain and Spine Institute, explains how minimally invasive techniques are bringing relief to many patients whose seizures, movement disorders and brain tumors used to be considered inoperable.
8/8/22 Better Outcomes thru Bridges: Finding answers in desperate situations
Becky Wilkinson, LCSW, manager of the Providence Better Outcome thru Bridges program, discuss how the BOB program is proving to be a lifeline for people facing social and behavioral health crises.
6/9/22 Community Health: Finding real solutions to create better health for all
Community health experts Joe Ichter, DrPH, MHA, and Shelley Yoder, MSW, explain how Providence is making better health a reality for underserved people in Oregon.
4/21/22 COVID-19: Two Years Later
Dr. Kevin Olson, chief executive for Providence clinical programs and services, reflects on two years of COVID-19 — how to prevent and treat it, how to identify and manage “long COVID,” and how we can move forward as it becomes endemic.
3/10/22 Cancer Plus Heart Disease: A Devastating One-Two Punch
Cardiologist Dr. Michael Layoun discusses the new Jack Loacker Center for Cardio-Oncology and how this important program will help patients protect heart muscle while they undergo lifesaving cancer treatments, including:
- How this revolutionary program delivers lifesaving cancer care while protecting vulnerable hearts
- How a matching grant will add resources to grow this program for more patients
- Jack Loacker Center for Cardio-Oncology - https://www.providence.org/locations/or/heart-institute/programs/cardio-oncology
- Cancer Treatment and Your Heart - https://www.cardiosmart.org/topics/cancer-treatment-and-your-heart
- Continuing Medical Education Webinars - https://www.providence.org/locations/or/provider-resources-and-referrals/heart-institute-physician-resources/education-and-care-resources
10/21/21 Teaming up to Finish Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. David Page, an assistant member of the Earle A. Chiles Research Institute and medical oncologist at Providence Cancer Institute, is investigating new ways to treat an aggressive form of breast cancer.
You'll hear about a new immunotherapy that is being used to fight triple-negative breast cancer. Dr. Page and some of his patients will explain:
- The trials and tribulations of research
- How research touches patients in intangible ways and offers them hope
- Providence Immunotherapy Program - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-immunotherapy-program/
- High-dose interleukin 2 (IL-2) - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/h/high-dose-interleukin-2-il-2-immunotherapy/
- Worried you might be at high risk for breast cancer? - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-breast-services/worried-you-may-be-at-high-risk-for-breast-cancer/
- Breast Cancer Q&A - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-breast-services/forms-and-information/
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month - https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-awareness-month
9/14/21 Reducing the Risk of Falls for Older Adults
Falls are a serious health hazard. More than 33% of people over age 65 fall each year. Most hip fractures and head injuries result from these falls.
Fortunately many falls can be prevented. Dr. Casey discusses the dangers of falling, especially for older adults, and will explain what Providence is doing to raise awareness and lower the risk.
You will hear:
- Practical tips that can help seniors stay healthy and steady on their feet
- Innovative approaches to recognize and reduce the risk of falling
- Check Your Risk for Falling - STEADI Questionnaire
- Providence Fall Risk Prevention Talk 2020 (recorded) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3k293TQF6k
- Home Safety Self-Checklist -
- High-Risk Medications Handout - High Risk Medications-Patient Handout.pdf
- 6 Steps to Reduce Fall Risk (English) - 6 Steps to Reduce Fall Risk.pdf
- 6 Steps to Reduce Fall Risk (Spanish) - 6 steps to reduce fall risk-Spanish only.pdf
- Tai Chi Video and Phone Application Resources - Tai Chi Video and Phone application Resources.pdf
- Providence (and PHP) class/exercise information - Senior Health Education Fitness Class and PHP benefits (including PD specific classes).pdf
- Strong for Life class flyer - Strong For Life Virtual Class Options
Special thanks to our sponsor RBC Wealth Management.
8/10/21 How to Make Ethical Decisions in Health Care
When gut-wrenching decisions must be made, Providence ethicists help caregivers, patients and families find answers that are culturally appropriate and ethically sound. Providence ethicists Nick Kockler, Ph.D., and Kevin Dirksen, M.Div., explore the decision-making process:
- If a patient with “DNR” tattooed on his chest attempts suicide, should we save him?
- Should we allow a homeless patient to leave the hospital if he hasn’t finished dialysis?
- If a patient has pulled out every tube and IV, should we put him on a breathing machine?
- Ethics Center Resources - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-center-for-health-care-ethics/our-resources/
- Ethics Center video library - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-center-for-health-care-ethics/forms-and-information/
- Recent Articles published by Providence Ethicists - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-center-for-health-care-ethics/publications/
7/13/21 More Than the Baby Blues: Understanding Maternity-related Depression
Kara Johansen, Psy.D., is a psychologist who specializes in maternal health. She will explain how Providence is tackling perinatal and postpartum depression.
You will learn:
- What Providence is doing to identify women at high risk for depression
- How behavioral health care can help moms before families are in crisis
- Online screening tool for new and expectant parents - https://screening.mhanational.org/screening-tools/postpartum-depression/
- Postpartum Depression Blog Post - https://blog.providence.org/archive/postpartum-depression
- Local Baby Blues Connection Resource - https://www.babybluesconnection.org/
6/3/21 It’s Brain Surgery … not Rocket Science
Dr. Vivek Deshmukh, director of neurosurgery at Providence Brain and Spine Institute, explains how doctors at Providence are helping patients today as they research even greater possibilities for the future.
You’ll learn about:
- How brain surgery is helping people affected by stroke, brain tumors, Parkinson’s disease and epilepsy
- How patients may benefit from new treatment options in the future
- Stroke - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-stroke-center/forms-and-information/providence-stroke-center-treatment-outcomes-data/
- Stereotactic Laser Ablation - https://www.providence.org/treatments/stereotactic-radiosurgery
- Brain Aneurysm - https://oregon.providence.org/forms-and-information/t/the-next-generation-brain-aneurysm-repair/
- Deep Brain Stimulation - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/d/deep-brain-stimulation/
5/11/21 Heart Failure Treatments: When Less Is More
Cardiologists Dr. Abraham and Dr. Korngold explain how doctors at Providence Heart Institute are using minimally invasive procedures to revolutionize cardiac care.
You’ll learn about:
- How hearts can be repaired without traditional surgery
- Which procedures can be done using minimally invasive techniques
- How effective the new procedures are compared to traditional open-heart surgeries
- TAVR - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/t/transcatheter-aortic-valve-replacement-tavr/
- MitraClip - https://oregon.providence.org/forms-and-information/n/new-device-offers-new-options-for-mitral-regurgitation/
- Mitral Valve - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-valve-center/mitral-valve/
- Heart Transplant - https://oregon.providence.org/our-services/p/providence-heart-transplant-program/
4/13/21 How Childhood Brain Development Affects Us as Adults
Dr. Martine Sacks, a developmental pediatrician at Providence Children’s Health, discusses research on childhood brain development and adult behaviors, including how Covid-19 and pandemic life may affect children’s brains.
You’ll learn about:
• Brain development in children and teens
• The correlation between adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and adult behaviors
• How therapy can enhance brain development and minimize the effect of ACEs
- https://digitalcommons.psjhealth.org/publications/2009/ - This study was referenced in Dr. Sacks slides
- https://files.covid19.ca.gov/pdf/wp/california-surgeon-general_stress-busting-playbook--en.pdf -
Referenced in Dr. Sacks slides